Saturday, March 04, 2006

Happy New Year?

Happy New Year! Or is it? Here it is already March. We've raced through the first 2 months of the new year according to the Gregorian calendar, or if you celebrated Chinese New Year, which was January 29, Happy New Year again.

So, two months down, and a little less than 10 more to go. How are you doing so far? Are you having a happy new year? Are you like some of those "resolutioners" who have been rushing to the gym to muscle up or lose weight, who end up falling off their resolution before Spring even hits? Are you really even in the new year?

If you're holding on to garbage or baggage from last year, you're not in the new year. Let me repeat that. If you're holding on to garbage on baggage from last year (or from any prior year or years), YOU'RE NOT IN THE NEW YEAR. So what exactly am I talking about here?

Let me share with you the first, if not one of the most important Laws of the Universe, The Law of Attraction. Energy follows thought. What that means is, where you put your focus/attention is what you attract to yourself.
Everything in the universe is made up of energy. Our thoughts are made up of energy as well. We've all heard the old adage, "Like attracts like"? Our thoughts and feelings are vibrating energy waves that go out in the universe and attract to us other matching vibrations. Let's take relationships for example. Creating a loving relationship is a huge issue for most people. In the many blogs I've read, and amongst people I know personally, many are moaning and pining over the love they've lost, the lover that did them wrong, or how they can't find the "one". Their thoughts and feelings are so completed wrapped up in the sense of pain and loss, which is a state of "non - havingness". Now if the Law of Attraction means that where I put my focus, I attract to myself, and if I am so focused on my loneliness, my pain, etc., all I'm doing is bringing into my life more of what I don't want!

Are you with me? Do you understand? Our thoughts are creative. So back to what I wrote earlier. If you're holding on to baggage or garbage from last year, you're not in the new year. You and your energy are stuck in the past, and you will continue to create those past situations again and again. But the good news is, we can choose again! We can make better choices. We can deliberately choose to use our creative energy to work for us, rather than work against us. And we can start right now, today.

First things first. Let's start with right where we are. Our environment. How many of you cleaned your apartment or home from top to bottom to welcome in the energy of the New Year? Well don't worry, you can start now. Let's do a "House Fast". This is something that actually needs to be done on a continual basis. Let's get rid of the clutter in our lives so we can begin to make room for our good.

1. Get rid of old newspapers, magazines, books - especially if you haven't read them. Trash them or give them to a library or school. I had so many old scripts from past acting classes, I gave them away to a local acting school. Shred old papers, cancelled checks and statements.
2. Clothing - if you haven't worn it in a year, chances are you aren't going to. Give it away to charity, a friend or family member, or even better, sell it on ebay and get some cash for your trash. Ladies, those old lipsticks & other make up items, perfumes, etc., Dump them! This also goes for anything that is sitting around your house unused or broken. Fix it, or dump it. Don't worry, you won't be loosing out. Actually, you will receive a blessing!
At a time in my past, I was doing temp office work. Things were tough and I didn't have money to buy nice professional looking office attire. My work clothes comprised of leotards, tights, and sweat pants, since I was a dancer. I knew that I could create space in my life for what I needed by getting rid of what no longer served me. I got rid of some old clothes, some that I was pretty attached to. I blessed them knowing that just as I enjoyed them, the new recipient of these garments would enjoy them as well. I knew that I would receive better clothing in place of what I released. Shortly thereafter, a friend called me, and asked if I would like some dress shirts. He was doing some shopping and decided to get rid of some of his old work shirts. This friend was a very meticulous young man, so I knew these shirts would be in great condition. Did I hesitate to say yes? I soon had 7 starched and well kept Oxford shirts to wear to work. This is an example of yet another powerful law: What you give out, you get back!.

Part of our house fast includes cleaning out anything that has been hanging out in the refrigerator or freezer! Now let's move on to a "You Fast".

3. Forgiveness. I think this can be the hardest one to do. It seems like we people seem to have some kind of obsession about holding onto things that went wrong or wrongs people have done to us. I've done it myself. It's almost as if to let go of our feelings would mean that it was ok that the person(s) did what they did and we're letting them off the hook. Wrong! When we forgive, we are letting ourselves off the hook. The hook of pain of having to re-live those memories. The sadness, the feelings of loss. Remember, we can only create what were focused on. so let it go!
Let go of the man/woman that dissed you, cheated on you, left you.
You didn't get the raise, big promotion, contract - Let it go!
You feel lonely, unloved, indequate in some way - Let it go!

Write it all down. Write a letter to the person, write a letter to God. Write about everything that happened and how you feel about it. Let it out, get it all out. If you need to curse, curse! This is for you, not for anyone to read (so don't mail it!). When your finished, burned the letter and dump the ashes down the sink or down the toilet. There is a Biblical Scripture that says not to put new wine in old wine skins. Do you understand what I'm asking you to do here? This is a purification process. How can you expect to receive your new good - that wonderful relationship, that promotion, that healthy body, when you are stuck in the old. Life is a constant purification process. If we don't clean out our minds and emotions, we block the good we want to receive. Now, write down the things you want to bring into your life, as well as the things you have to be thankful for.

4. Affirmation- "Thou shalt decree a thing and it shall be established unto thee". Affirming something makes it so. Our words are powerful! So what words are you telling yourself or speaking about your life? Let's do a "Word Fast" as well. Remove certain words from your vocabulary. Stop speaking of yourself or your conditions in derogatory terms. Focus on the abundance you already have, rather than saying how broke you are. Speak about the things you desire to have in your life as if you have already received them. Focus your energy there.
Most of all blessed ones, let's love ourselves for who we are and where we are right now. Many of us are waiting for someone or something outside of ourselves to validate our existence. Before you get that man or woman, before you get that promotion, house, big raise, contract, lose weight, whatever, just love yourself. You cannot be insulted. No one has the power to make you feel small or less. We are all worthy and deserving.
I would like to close with an affirmation from Louise Hay's book, You Can Heal Your Life. "I love and approve of myself exactly as I am". Put this new thought into action and see what happens.

Blessings,

Gurusher Singh

No comments: